CFEW Forums
nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion (/showthread.php?tid=104)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - MetalicPenguin4 - 01-21-2012

I know for sure that it hasn't been a month though, but whatever.

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - fireb4llz - 01-21-2012

Well, actually he would only need to be here for 3 weeks. People seem to forget you don't have to wait a whole week to be promoted to builder1. Builder2 can take as little as a week to achieve

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - shppthwhtfx - 01-21-2012

I would just like to start by asking if shoe even wants to be promoted, but I'm not going to because that would be redundant after stating that I'd like to. The rules surrounding promotions were made due to players repeatedly pestering OPs and even other players who they thought had control over it for the next rank or to become OP or some sort of craziness like that ("give me admin plz" ...wha?). The only reason to apply those spam reducing rules to those who aren't annoying OPs is to maintain consistency of structure so that others don't complain about unequal treatment or to be lemmings following arbitrary rules, neither understanding why they exist nor applying adaptations to maintain those reasons behind the rules for cases they contradict themselves. I am going to assume any OP who's dealt with anyone who's persistent will take the first reason and not want to cause those who might complain any reason to do so. So the arguments being posed in this thread are as following:
We shouldn't treat an individual as such and bend rules to accommodate their abilities because others will feel it is their right to have accommodations as well and that's alot of work and/or they do not necessarily need accommodations and telling them that might offend them.
-and-
We should make an exception to our rules and risk having others complain and/or feel offended from not being "special" or "unique" because there are certain people who do not fit our mold and should be treated differently and the reasons behind our rules aren't directed at these people even if the rules don't give them immunity as it's stated.
If you want to not deal with any drama that may occur (not saying there will be, but there might be), then don't make our rules dynamic. If you want to reward those who are exceptional and/or understand the reasons behind our rules and interpret their meanings on a case by case system like the supreme court does to the constitution, then I suggest promoting him to whatever rank we (as a community) think he should be. If that's the case, though, I also suggest we rewrite our rules somewhere with the reasons behind each next to them giving us some context in future cases of ...inconsistency =) I am not arguing either side (even though it may seem I'm calling people who don't adjust for individuality lazy or stupid) because I'm lazy myself and don't want to have to explain to every single person why our rules are different for every OP. I personally think we need more consistency in our OP group's knowledge/understanding because we keep having issues with one OP disagreeing with another and sometimes getting banned for overreacting ...but I digress. It doesn't matter much which we choose, please don't start at each others' throats for it =)

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - 9bjames - 01-21-2012

Hmm, I didn't really think this would be such a big deal, and to be honest I still don't think it is something so serious, lol.
I generally just felt if a player has been online for the amount of time required to gain the certain ranks, and has done what is required, why should there be a need to put further wait on things?

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - shppthwhtfx - 01-21-2012

It isn't a big deal, how we deal with it just determines how we'll work out rule interpretations in the future. If we allow it, we'll have to change. If we say no, we stay the same as before and not have to introduce change to the society of pixel people and deal with the explaining that implies. ...or we can say yes and let people get over it, there is that option.

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - Indrae - 01-21-2012

Well, this issue brings up an interesting question. If he hadn't requested a promotion before, and had done the things that we expect of the rank he was promoted to, why should we apply the time limit to him? I think there's a problem with the way people view ranks. They shouldn't be some arbitrary measure of how long a person has been here, how long they had to wait for their promotion, or what rank they pestered the OPs long enough to get promoted to. The rank a person is should be reflective of their contributions to the server, and honestly, nothing else. Their builds and helpfulness alone should be what is considered, not some random measure of time that was created so that OPs who can't say no to people could have something to fall back on.

I think this whole issue sheds a light on the flaws of our ranking system and why we, in my opinion, need to change to a more simplified ranking system. People have viewed ranks in the past as a way to appease those players who begged for OPhood in the past. What they have evolved into is a way to delay having to deal with those players.

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - blueapplepiedude - 01-21-2012

honestly if it doesnt matter to him then why even promote him?
if hes just here to build, there should be a class for just straight-out building.
like B for Builder

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - shppthwhtfx - 01-22-2012

Again it is asked whether he even wants to be promoted, I've never heard him ask for it... only to be demoted when he got to B1. I've heard him talk about future prospects of H4, but never immediate.

I agree about the ranks ind, but fishy probably isnt going to change the ranks... he hasn't even responded to threads about that so there's no point in arguing it in the forums anymore. Bug him about it in game xD

I am actually for promoting people to what we think they deserve without waiting limits, perhaps we can use fishy's new note system to tag those who ask for a promo and are denied based on their build quality or who are annoyingly frequent with their requests *shrugs* I just addressed every argument I could think of so this thread would end faster, I didn't mean to give the impression that I cared too emphatically.

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - theeaussiepom - 01-24-2012

I think we should promote him. If, like most other people, he asked/begged for the ranks he would be there already. He probably even deserves it more than some current h4s.

RE: nshoebox Instant H4 Promotion - Mayhem - 01-25-2012

First of all, he DOESN'T really want to be promoted so let's forget about that. He'll probably wait out or something.

Secondly, this thread has turned into more of a debate over the ranking system. I personally think that a change in the ranking system rules would be in order. If a person deserves it and has waited the required time, then they should get their promo. I totally support the idea of re-writing the system, though there's not much to change tbh. There are certain exceptions who are worthy of promo due to their advanced skill.
In truth I feel the ranks give us something to work towards, it shows the level of someones skill, hence "rank". So if someone put off upgrades then it should be no big deal.

Finally,
Quote:shppthwhtfx -
I personally think we need more consistency in our OP group's knowledge/understanding because we keep having issues with one OP disagreeing with another and sometimes getting banned for overreacting.

I'm not an OP but I agree this would help make it easier in any authorial system. Just a thought though...