CFEW Forums
New Map - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: New Map (/showthread.php?tid=1048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New Map - lordofpain - 10-10-2012

Hello all,
As you know, the server has been very quiet lately. Although were are working on bringing new worlds in, i think its time we change our map. The map we are currently using is over-crowded and over mined. If we had a possible map change, we would have an all new playing field, we would have jungle biomes, mine shafts and pyramids, but we would have all our add on commands and privileges that we have in the current world. I just wanted to throw this idea forward, to see what you guys think.
Thanks, lordofpain

P.S I have also posted a pole, to see if you are for, or against this idea. Remember, if we do change maps the old world file will be kept, not deleted.

RE: New Map - invinsable12 - 10-10-2012

RE: New Map - Indrae - 10-10-2012

If anyone is curious, we have had the map for over two years, and the map folder file size is around 117gb at this point.

I'll admit that I am torn on this issue. Our current map is cluttered and crowded, and in some regards, ugly. However, it houses all of the server's history. It holds the very first spawn, my first house and most of my builds, and countless builds of current players and those who have long left us. I'm not going to put my support behind one side or the other right now. I want to see what you all want, and then act accordingly.

RE: New Map - lordofpain - 10-10-2012

Well, its not like we would be throwing away the old map, we would have all of the old builds saved away on clown's PC. Perhaps the world file could be released for people to download?

RE: New Map - DragMeDownUnder - 10-10-2012

A new map would have been awesome. But I'm not sure if i want all my buildings and all my items gone. Some people have been here for almost as long as CFEW has been. And i don't think they want all their stuff gone. And It's loads of great buildings on the server too.

RE: New Map - shppthwhtfx - 10-10-2012

In fishy's eyes even saving it away and replacing the world with a fresh map would be similar to griefing. Those who came back to the server after a while away would be lost and confused, seeing all their work gone, the ranks changed, and most if not all of their friends inactive. If we save the world away like you say, they'll have no access to it and even though it's safe from griefing, it'd be safe from their owner as well.
While starting fresh does have its appeal, all of the work on completing builds before and current projects in main world would, at the very least, seem futile. Owners of the builds/resources that didn't transfer their belongings would lose all of that mining/trading as well as their builds/homes. Let us remember that we are deciding for those who don't use the forums as well. I'm not sure the opinions of those people, but we should at least check before taking all their progress away from them.
The less "ugly" builds would be left inaccessible by our members to enjoy in game and would make the process of reviewing builds for "architect" an absolute dread compared to the simple tedious critique it is now. I know architect rank is simply vanity now, but some members are striving for it and building their way up to it (or getting frustrated with it).

If we keep the world and simply make it a secondary world like AW or planetoids, it'd still take up the space when backing up, keeping the 15 minute backups long and simply being a hassle to tinker around with all of the world files.

This idea has come up before and was shot down for similar reasons to the ones above, I am simply reminding you of a few that continue to hold true. In the end, adding a new world with the same rules/commands as main world would be easier, though it would still draw on more attention from fishy's computer and require longer backup time. All decisions for progress have negatives.

RE: New Map - lordofpain - 10-10-2012

As much as i understand what you are saying shpp, how are we going to keep stock piling builds on the same over used map? We are getting new players all the time, and the map is becoming maxed out. If people are against a new map change, could we please have some ideas listed to fix this over-used world?

RE: New Map - TheAcidHammer - 10-10-2012

Personal opinion is to expand the world size if possible

RE: New Map - shppthwhtfx - 10-10-2012

Make another world with the same permissions/commands as the main world and have the new##s start to be made in that world instead of main world. While people continue to use the main world, the new players will use the new world's areas exclusively unless older players advise them foolishly to go to old new##s or to go live/build with them. The older players should go with the new players and build/live in the new world if anything, and I suspect many would even alone.
I suggest making this world 1000x1000 at first and expand as needed. Another main world similar size to our main world will probably increase the backup time another five minutes, but that's unavoidable if we carry this out without taking out other worlds.

We can't pack up the main world for storage because of reasons I listed and more, but those reasons don't conflict with solving the problem you're facing. Your issue was that we didn't have a map with the new features and not over-mined that has the same commands/permissions as the main world. We have AW with its more recent updates, but it has restrictions on commands and mobs. So you're calling for a new world to use as our main world, but you're suggesting to remove the main world from the server to make room for it.

RE: New Map - Indrae - 10-10-2012

I don't think our solution to every single problem that presents itself can be just simply adding a new multi world.