CFEW Forums
New Map - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: New Map (/showthread.php?tid=1048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: New Map - shppthwhtfx - 10-10-2012

The only other options I can think of are what acid said of expanding the world, which will just add more choppy biom chunks at the fringes of our map and from what I understand be effectively making another multiworld lag/backup-time wise, or do nothing and tell people to use AW to satisfy their longing for the newer minecraft features and expansionism. In fact, aeon told me that lagginess from one multiworld doesn't effect players in other worlds unless it starts effecting the server as a whole, so maybe a new world is preferable to expanding *shrugs* I don't know myself... he tested with mobs and redstone I think.

RE: New Map - Indrae - 10-10-2012

What if we create a new world, and prevent new people from building in the current main world. People would be able to retain their items and builds in the old world, but new folks would start out with a fresh slate in the new world.

I thought that was what I was trying to do when I said to make the new /warp new##s in the new world o.o what exactly are you suggesting and why? A zone to stop everyone from building in main world? For the purpose of resetting the economy/trade? I'm just confused xD I think it'd work out fine letting them build in the main world if they chose to unless you're seeing something I'm not.

Perhaps I should have elaborated a little bit in my last post. I'm not suggesting we prevent everyone from building in the current main world. I am suggesting that we prevent new people from building in the main world, and instead direct them to build in the new main world if we choose to add one. If we add a new world to satisfy this demand, lets not mess around, and call it what it would be: The Main World. The current main world would not be the main world anymore, it would be something like a legacy world. The new main world would represent the future of CFEW.

RE: New Map - Justin Case Kazoo - 10-10-2012

I think that we should take out some worlds, though, before we start adding in new ones. I would personally rather have less lag than more room to build. Not only does the restart time take longer with more worlds (as was previously stated), but lately I've noticed there has been an increase in lag even when there are ten or less players on... Just my two cents.

RE: New Map - lordofpain - 10-10-2012

I agree with justin, we really do need to take out some worlds that we don't use, as fishy's server can only hold so much data. I agree that a new world does seem very appealing, if a bunch of could start planning it, it would be great.

Looking at the restart in process, the only worlds that take any significant amount of time are the main world, the nether (which we think we know the cause of), and space world (I'm not entirely 100% on this one). The other worlds appear to have a negligible effect on the time it takes to restart.

In regards to the world sizes I said near the beginning of the thread, ignore them. The main world in reality only takes up about 1.83 GB, it's the backups that take up at this point nearly 132 GB.

RE: New Map - boxmana - 10-10-2012

I think maybe we should look at old backups, and either delete the oldest ones or simply store on something like a external hairdrive. There's no reason we need so many backups, other then rolling back, but even that doesnt require backups from years ago o-o

@ind no I understood that much and am in agreement. That's what I was saying before about making all the warps to building areas for new players to be in the new main world ...I'm just confused at what you mean by the "prevent new people from building in the main world" part. But that's ok, not an important point if you have a way to do that that isn't too complicated ...whatever you mean xD

@justin/pain I agree and we should have a thread analyzing the use of each world. I'm not sure this should be discussed here though as it'll cause a large tangent.
I'm probably wrong but I think if fishy allocated more RAM to the server we might get less lag :3 probably wrong though.

@Box that's not the issue at hand, please stay on the topic of a new main world. Fishy has plenty of backup space, when he finds this to be a problem he can deal with it.

What I meant was that any new player who joined the server after Main World 2.0 (I'm going to call it that to avoid confusion from here on out) would not have permissions to build in the Old Main World. Old players would retain their permissions in the Old Main World, so that they may continue with their pre-existing builds and retain access to all of their items. New players would start out fresh in Main World 2.0, and would have to build there (or go into Creative World, Adventure World, whatever PvP option we decide on, etc.).

This has a purpose, and is not a result of me wanting to implement arbitrary rules on the server. If we create a Main World 2.0, consider the Old Main World to be going into a state of semi-retirement. It would no longer be a fully active world, and would only really be retained both for its historical significance and so we do not have to deal with people losing things they had worked for. Main World 2.0 would for all intents and purposes, be our new default main world. People would start out there (or in a spawn world/portal hub).