CFEW Forums
New Map - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: New Map (/showthread.php?tid=1048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: New Map - blueapplepiedude - 10-10-2012

So people who joined before the new world... can still build in the 1.0 world even after 2.0 world has come out?
and then anyone who joins after 2.0 world can't build in 1.0 world....

RE: New Map - Indrae - 10-10-2012

Yes that's essentially what I was trying to get across.

RE: New Map - blueapplepiedude - 10-10-2012

RE: New Map - shppthwhtfx - 10-11-2012

lol blue, as soon as he said it plainly it was straightened out. I wasn't sure I understood what he meant because the only way I can think of to make that work except make a separate set of ranks for main world 1.0 vets, perhaps a prefix, and have an overzone that allows only those ranks to build (rank zoning work again?) then have the main world 2.0 newbies not have permission due to not having the prefix no matter how high they are promoted.

That however is somewhat complex ...I'm not sure what you had in mind xD I continue to agree that new members should be directed to main world 2.01, the only difference is I don't see absolute restriction as necessary. The fact that main world 2.01 will have more free land will make it tempting enough. I'm not against you restricting their building there so long as non-new people can still do so. We don't want our members not being able to continue building unfinished projects or access their chests.

RE: New Map - Indrae - 10-11-2012

It should be possible without too much trouble.

I like this idea to be honest. One of my new goals is to start streamlining everything on the server (ie. making sure worlds are actually serving a purpose, organizing things in a more efficient manner etc.). This would be a great place to start with that in mind.

RE: New Map - whitelily36 - 10-11-2012

The old map wouldn't be made inaccessible. It just wouldn't be available for new members to build in (at least until a certain time after they join). They'd still be able to wander around at their leisure.

RE: New Map - fireb4llz - 10-11-2012

I definately like this idea. The map we have currently is cluttered and overmined. It would be very nice to have a fresh map to work with.

RE: New Map - shppthwhtfx - 10-11-2012

@lily we're not going to transfer them over, but we can continue making the fish tour thing. We've tried to complete it like three times now and I don't think it ever got done. I don't know the warp to the most recent one, but fishy's attempt was /warp temptour##, my attempt is in the same building as /warp shoplist and the third attempt was made by a member who built a large room about 10 blocks in the air with signs to all the interesting builds (again, dont remember the warp).
As for your second point, not all our members are as patient as us and get tired quickly of adventuring through taken wilderness to try to find that spot worth building on. There is one zone I've seen that is absolutely pointless taking up space to build which we can use as a new## until this new main world happens: colesonnew, it's at the far right of the map near the bottom and set up like a new## already, it was supposed to be new21 I think but another one was made before it could. We need to resize the zone to fit only the welcome center and release it.

@everyone Here is a list of ideas for main world 2.01's zoning policies:
Zone Size:Build Size
If we are making main world 2.01, I would like to suggest we put a limit on how large zones should be made from existing structures. We zone areas so that builds aren't griefed. If someone asks an OP to zone a large area with no builds on it, they should refuse in my opinion. I have zoned large areas in the past for people without thinking too much about it, but that might be why we're having problems now. People want remote areas to build in so they ask for giant zones to buffer for them, but this isn't structured and can get out of hand.
I suggest that we make a rule for OPs where they can't zone more than 20 to 30 blocks radius from an existing build. It can be the base of a structure so that the owner can mark their territory, but something has to be being protected. Not a few cobble/dirt/sponge pillars; not a cobble square pretending to be something, something that hints there will be effort made to make a build such as the area being completely flat or the build already is under construction. This mainly applies to large zones. If there's a 70x70 area that is leveled or something with a floor laid, then a 100x100 zone seems more justified. A 20x20 build does not need a zone larger than 50x50 or even 40x40.

Zone-Here Warnings
Perhaps zones larger than 1000 sq. blocks (100x100 or equivalent) should have greeting and farewell flags so people don't wander in thinking they can build? This is less important xD
Players should be warned that underground builds need some sort of universal marking above ground to show that something is in fact there so OPs don't accidentally zone over them (yes they should check but we cant always be lucky with our wooden sword strokes, we should anticipate non-perfection).

New## Reserved Areas
We could make it clear where we're going to make new## warps so that people who want to spread out will know to stay away from those areas. We can set up a system of reserving 500x500 areas at x=0 z=0, x=1000 z=1000, x=-1000 z=-1000, x=1000 z=-1000 and so on so that they're a good distance apart making room for exploration after the new## area is filled but before we open the next. When we realize the newest one is full, we simply resize the zone to cover only the welcome area and change the warp at spawn. The new## reserved areas should have greetings and farewells if we do use this idea.
We don't have to have too many of these, but it should be enough to last until the map is reasonably full and our new system of zoning is fully understood and exploited again.

The Culmination of My Thoughts
Those things will hopefully keep us from having the same issues we have with main world 1.0: large empty zones, large zones still that have small structures at the middle, even larger zones that have large complexes in the middle but really don't need that large of a buffer. We can expand peoples' zones as needed, if they want solitude they should build far away from wherever we send new people and perhaps even prepare the land they'll want if they're that paranoid of overcrowding.

I'm not sure I really like the whole new people area system that we have been using so far. I don't really believe in laying out plots for people to build in, which is how a number of them have been set up. Also, just a note, if we start out with a map that is 1000x1000, and make a new starter zone at 500x500, that takes up a quarter of the map. I think what would be a better solution would be to create a central spawn building (for Main World 2.0, not the server) that people are ported to initially when they enter the world the official way. It would have info on how they can begin to get themselves on their feet.

Some issues I am not willing to debate and am making a definite call on:

From here on out, it is a requirement that zones have some sort of welcome/farewell message ("Leaving x's zone", "Entering x's zone" at a minimum).

Areas cannot be zoned unless there is a discernible amount of effort put into the build already. At a minimum, this should involve land being cleared if the build requires it, or a foundation laid.