CFEW Forums
Streamlining Campaign - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Streamlining Campaign (/showthread.php?tid=1054)

Pages: 1 2

Streamlining Campaign - Indrae - 10-11-2012

In the next few weeks, I want us to undertake a project designed to breath some new life into our server. In the past, we have added new features left and right, and more often than not we haven't implemented them in the most efficient ways. We are a server that serves a primarily young player base, but the way we organize things shouldn't be reflective of that.

We need to take a serious look at each individual world, and determine what can be changed, how things can be improved, and whether a certain world is necessary or not. We will need to discuss things thoroughly, and only implement things when a clear consensus is reached.

I'll provide an example of this (note that this thread isn't to be used to discuss this example): There was a huge push towards implementing Spaceworld. However it seems that it fell a little bit too short in actual implementation. We need to take another look at this world, and determine what it actually is that we want from it, and whether or not it is serving that purpose.

Once we finish with this, I want to begin advertising the server lightly in different places, and hopefully that will attract a new generation of players.

RE: Streamlining Campaign - boxmana - 10-11-2012

I can work on configs if you need any help :3. Also i can make a minecraft forum post detailing everything about the server

RE: Streamlining Campaign - Indrae - 10-11-2012

Also, no one should be afraid to add their input during these discussions. This isn't an undertaking of just the admins and the OPs. This is something that should involve the entire server community. This is your server guys, let your voices be heard.

RE: Streamlining Campaign - Justin Case Kazoo - 10-11-2012

You mentioned *lightly* advertising, and I think that *if* we were to advertise, we should do just small amounts. I think that when you have random people coming from the internet, you get more "diverse" players (i.e. griefers, hackers, etc) compared to friend referrals. Now, I understand that you may want to advertise because of the lack of players on the server lately, but I also don't want the server to be maxed out all the time, especially with harmful or unwanted players. Just want everyone to keep that in mind.

Keep in mind that OPs do have slots reserved, so we wouldn't need to worry too much about not having OPs to handle it. As far as attracting a more "diverse" crowd, I'm not that worried about that either. It's a side effect that can be dealt with, and not feared. Will we get griefers? Yes. Can they do permanent damage that can't be fixed? In most cases, no. Most of our best players found this server in the early days when it was advertised, including myself.

RE: Streamlining Campaign - Justin Case Kazoo - 10-11-2012

How many slots do OPs have? I remember a while back clown made it 12 for regular players and 8 more for OPs, but that was many months ago. And more recently, I have seen 18 or 19 people on and only a couple of those were OPs. (Meaning more than 12 normal players were on.) Just curious, since I thought maybe it was broken or whatever.

And yes, I know you can fairly easily fix griefs and such, but I think it's usually just better to avoid it in the first place.

There is no way to truly avoid griefers. You can take the server off the grid for the most part, as it has been, and rely on word of mouth, but that has proven to be vulnerable to griefing as well. I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives here.

RE: Streamlining Campaign - blueapplepiedude - 10-11-2012

How about this: someone make a DNs hosting thingy on no-ip.com
Then we advertise ONLY that ip so if the advertising ever gets out of hand, we can disable the DNs hosting for a bit.

Before this thread gets off track, let me remind everyone that this discussion is not about advertising the server. That is several weeks off.

RE: Streamlining Campaign - Eaglefighter - 10-11-2012

You do know that is going to take more then just a couple of weeks? I agree we should do it but its going to take longer.