CFEW Forums
Some Observations on the Server - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Some Observations on the Server (/showthread.php?tid=1057)

Some Observations on the Server - Indrae - 10-11-2012

People come up with ideas on our server all the time. Most of these ideas are well intentioned, and we try to implement them. However, we do tend to take things to the extreme with more frequency than is expected.

Take the swearing rule for instance. A long time ago we decided that we should try to limit the amount of profanity in our server chat. This was a reasonable goal. However, we have now gone a step further and are attempting to eliminate all profanity. This has led to a lot of frustration due to our attempts to classify what words fall in that category.

Let's look at another idea that was taken too far: ban appeals. OPs make mistakes sometimes, and players get banned unfairly. It is reasonable to have a place where people can try to appeal their ban in these cases. However, we took it to the extreme, and created a den of drama nestled in an utterly chaotic system. It should have a way for players to challenge unfair bans, not a place for rule breakers to plead for a second, or a third, or a fourth, or a fifth chance.

A problem was identified: Caps can be annoying. This is true in a number of cases. Typing in all cap can be interpreted as yelling. On the other hand, it can also be interpreted as excitement. We now have a rule against caps. Is it a rule against excessive caps use? It is not. It is a rule against caps in general. A single word written in all caps is net with a chorus of people screaming "caps".

I could go on for pages an pages with more examples, but I won't no one would read this post if I did. But what I want people to take away from this post is that while there are problems that we need to deal with on the server, and while there are things we can add, we should do so in a responsible, reasonable, and mature manner.

Tl;dr - We have well intentioned ideas a lot of the time, but we take them too far. We should try to take a more moderate approach to things in the future.

RE: Some Observations on the Server - shppthwhtfx - 10-11-2012

Every face of a coin has a flipped side and anyone can argue that "taking things more moderately" can apply to the opposite side of the coin than your intent. "Let's look at another idea that was taken too far: ban appeals." While I agree with you on this point, someone could say that if you hadn't specified ban appeals as an example, your call to taking things more moderately might apply to our approach to causing bans instead.
Ban appeals actually rose from fishy's kind-hearted approach of everyone getting a second chance to redeem themselves. While we shouldn't allow 3rd or 4th chances, we should keep in mind that we all make mistakes and a ban appeal on this server isn't designed for mistake bannings made by OPs.
Eliminating all profanity isn't an unreasonable step considering the intent behind that rule was to stop fishy's kids and other peoples' kids from being exposed to profanity ...that generally means all profanity, not just most of it. Perhaps making a list of what constitutes profanity is the wrong way to go about it, perhaps it's the correct way and/or perhaps I'm simply still in that "extreme" mindset you were talking about =)

In any case, this link is useful. I know you know of it ind, but for those who don't: I have tried to set up a thread that lists our rules and the intent behind them to prevent misunderstanding as well =) OPs enforcing a rule or dealing with a ban appeal can look up that specific rule and interpret it with more knowledge. It even has a table of contents to assist in that. And because our rules are so fluid in interpretation, respond to that thread if you think something is being phrased wrong or if you think a rule should include something else. We'll discuss it and bring it to the attention of the admins if it seems reasonable =)

RE: Some Observations on the Server - Indrae - 10-11-2012

I'm really starting to get tired of having to have a debate with the same people over every single issue every time anything is brought up. We don't need to have these multi-page debates over the most pointless issues.

RE: Some Observations on the Server - shppthwhtfx - 10-11-2012

I wasn't even trying to make that into a debate o.o;; I thought I was on your side ...only corrected two small things, that's close to on your side right? xD
Sorry ind, guess either we view forums for different purposes or my writing style just doesn't click with how you analyze things. I'll stop responding to any of your posts after today if you'd like =/ I don't know how to fix this besides that. It'd take hours longer to sort through my phrasings to simply not offend you in my writing style.

RE: Some Observations on the Server - whitelily36 - 10-12-2012

RE: Some Observations on the Server - blueapplepiedude - 10-12-2012

I'd like to add an input into Whitelily's post.
Dont go: HI BLUE sorry caps

do this: HI BLUE
next line: sorry caps

RE: Some Observations on the Server - charlie2134 - 10-17-2012

I like to be able to say a really non offensive word if I die in AW but if I even typed along them lines it's LANGUAGE! Same with caps if I accidentally leave my caps lock on and type something and enter I have to quickly say sorry caps, I think at least a little more leanient on some of these things I know it's a family server and all but there are non family people on aswell

Sorry if I sound big headed

-Charlie