CFEW Forums
What is our focus? - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: What is our focus? (/showthread.php?tid=1062)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: What is our focus? - fireb4llz - 10-13-2012

Indrea Wrote:And when I say building, I mean just building for the fulfillment that brings. We don't need ranks to tell people they are good at building.

I'm guessing you're referring to Architect. tbh, I agree with this. Considering there is only 1 person who actually has that rank and I doubt many more will obtain it, I am questioning why we have it. If we ever made a Architect only permission only one person would be able to use it.

Also, we need a new End world as well, I've noticed a LOT of people have killed the Ender Dragon recently and caused a pretty big mess of portals. I would clean it but my FPS drops to nearly unplayable levels everytime I go there from all the portals that were made.

indrea Wrote:We could organize it into three types: Normal (Main World, no mobs, no damage, legitimate item collecting), Adventure World (Survival, mobs on, legitimate item collecting, with separate inventory from Normal), and Creative (creative mode on, obviously).We could reduce our number of worlds to the bare minimum needed to satisfy these areas. We don't need PvP, or any kind of special game mode.

I for the most part agree with this statement. I think this could be further defined as

Normal
-Main World(fresh map)
-History World(if we want to keep the old main map)
-Nether
-The_End(please get a fresh map)
-Mob World(A world for Mob Arenas. They should not be in space. Also, can we find a more controlled way to spawn the mobs?)

Creative
-Creative
-Space World(revamped)
-Sandbox(Since CityWorld is a mess, Maybe we do our Build experimentation or very random freebuilding here. Just an idea.)

Adventure
-AW
-Seperate End(If we can)
-Seperate Nether(If we can)

This would end up removing PVP, Planets, Tunnels, Desert, CW, CWtest, Thomvanberlo, Thomvanberlo2, Redstone World, flatlands etc. Obviously some of these worlds(especially CW and CWtest) have quite a few builds which their owners would not want them destroyed. I'm thinking that Clown could maybe put all the worlds we're removing in a shared folder with the admins and maybe save and email WE schematics of builds upon request and perhaps with larger builds (like James' build in Desert or Box's WIP castle in Redstone world) we can just send the map file. Also, maybe we could keep a few of these worlds for the time being if we feel we should.

As for a couple of notes on Adventure World, you may notice I added separate end and seperate nether onto the list. Tbh, I think we should have exclusive invs for that world just like creative. I feel like being able to start out with full diamond gear somewhat ruins the survival aspect of that world. Is there maybe some type of plugin that could allow portals in AW to go to a different end/nether rather than portals in Main? Also, The reason I don't go in there very often is mainly because I am not able to perform my OP duties while I'm in there. Maybe we can give OPs the ability to tp out of there or maybe some other solution to the problem we can think of.

Additional notes, Mob Arenas should be put in their own seperate world. Space World(like we actually discussed in the original thread) should be a creative world. I have no clue why Aeon decided to ignore our input on the space world thread and make it Survival in the first place. Tbh, I wouldn't be against chucking this idea if it is just cluttering the server but it seems like it would provide a large workspace for spaceships/space stations or other vehicle type builds. Also, I'm against Ender Dragon Spawning, go to our current End World and you'll see why.

RE: What is our focus? - Indrae - 10-13-2012

Actually, nether portals are, and will remain disabled. Having to mainy problems with them right now.

I realize we can't completely go back to the good ol' days completely. I just want us to narrow our focus a bit. No server can provide everything. That's why I feel we shouldn't have a PvP dedicated world. There's a reason dedicated PvP servers exist (their main focus is PvP, and they can do a much better job of it than we can). I'm also slightly annoyed with the tekkit server, since while it is fun (or drama creating) for those who use it, it is helping to divide our community.

We will always remain family friendly. I don't want to change our philosophy regarding that. We have taken it a little too far by adding on anything that anyone has ever asked for (it seems we were seriously considering a Pokemon world at one point...). We can still remain a family friendly server. I just think it would be wise to refocus ourselves as a family friendly building server aimed at people of all ages (as long as they follow our rules).

RE: What is our focus? - wakeboy100 - 10-15-2012

I do belive that we dont need all the worlds we have. The three seperate gamemode worlds that fire suggested would be the best idea inmy opinion. I know that we have talked about things like the "history world" in the mod-broadcast chats. We could have old players still have their old stuff and still build in it. And have our new players build in the new world (along with old players). Also i agree that we have forgotten how to say no, though all the fun little nicknames and colored ranks and disguises are cool, they arent really needed. They cause disorganization, and are a real pain when making zones and doing op duties. We really should try to make things more simple and organized. I know that now we have a mojority of younger players, and thats okay because as long as they are mature and follow the rules, they wont cause problems. But there will allways be those few that constantly cause problems, and they arent allways kids. The more organized we are, the better. I think we can sacrifice a bit of fun.

RE: What is our focus? - blueapplepiedude - 10-15-2012

I vote that we should get rid of nicknames and color nicknames. they are a huge pain.

RE: What is our focus? - 9bjames - 10-15-2012

Want to read/ write more, probably will do after lectures, but for now just want to say I don't think getting rid of all those worlds fire listed is the way to go...
Narrowing our focus - yes.
Removing all of the features brought by those worlds - no.

For one thing I really wouldn't enjoy getting rid of the desert world... I still have my biggest build yet in there, which still isn't even finished... and really, I was hoping something could be done with a new desert world (importing builds or not) to create a treasure hunt kind of world... which could fit in with the adventure themed area (lots of danger, but lots of loot).
If it was done, it could also be self-managed by restoring the map periodically, so new players would still be able to loot, and even gather sand (which was the initial purpose of desert world).

RE: What is our focus? - Indrae - 10-15-2012

The true initial purpose of desert world wasn't that. It was just to have a desert themed world (no gameplay function in mind). It was one of the first worlds we added, and I also believe it was one of the early stages of our decline (we lost focus on the main world and what we were doing well). We can't keep a world for one or two people. There needs to actually be a fair number of people who will utilize it.

Also, people need to realize that all these new features we add on (worlds, plugins, etc.) don't maintain themselves. Sure, we could regenerate the desert world map. But would we have to do that on a regular basis? That would just take much needed time and effort away from the more important things on the server.

What I'm getting at here is that we can provide you with a great and well developed, narrowed experience. Or we can provide a mediocre, underdeveloped experience. We can't have both. Make your choice.

RE: What is our focus? - whitelily36 - 10-15-2012

RE: What is our focus? - fireb4llz - 10-15-2012

I think Indrea's goals here are

1) To make CFEW more professional
2)To make the community more connected.

Indrea feels that all of the extra worlds have been separating the community and I can see why. It seems like people on other worlds(especially PvP and the tekkit server) seem like a separate group almost. Also, I've played hunger games in Minecraft before and I can say something like this would require a lot of maintenance if not CPU power. There's a reason there are seperate servers dedicated to this kind of thing.

On a side note, as much as I will miss being Fuego897 every now and then I do agree we should remove nicks or at the very least colored nicks.

RE: What is our focus? - whitelily36 - 10-15-2012

RE: What is our focus? - boxmana - 10-17-2012