CFEW Forums
Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) (/showthread.php?tid=1094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - EpicPrincess11 - 01-08-2013

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - lordofpain - 01-08-2013

Pizza, I was thinking we should be a little stricter on the skylia world, as if we let 'in experienced builders' build there they will destroy the terrain and make the world look ugly. I saw a similar thing happen to spaceworld, we let anyone member + build, and they defiled the world, scattering it with trash. I have talked to clown and vray, and they both agree, we can't have this world ruined like so many others before it. I say we ristrict it to either OP+ and have a comitee grant special permissions. This would JUST be for SKYLIA not for plotworld. This may seem harsh to some, but I think skylia would be more of a merit to the server if it is kept clean and presentable.
Thanks, lop

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - whitelily36 - 01-08-2013

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - Indrae - 01-08-2013

Something that I think we need to discuss: part of the goal originally was to give players an alternative to leveling the land and ruining the natural aspects of the map. I think to do that we were goin to have part of Plotworld be natural terrain, and have part of it be flat terrain. We'd try to make the transition from natural to flat look as smooth as possible. Are we still going with that plan?

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - whitelily36 - 01-08-2013

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - Indrae - 01-09-2013

Let's not forget that the specific map we use for the sandbox world is not a permanent fixture. Look at how long it takes to do architect reviews. If the map is going to be up for a few weeks, or a month at the most, we want people to be able to make the most of it, and not wait around for people to tell them they don't suck.

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - clownfish - 01-09-2013

(01-08-2013, 10:33 PM)lordofpain Wrote: Pizza, I was thinking we should be a little stricter on the skylia world, as if we let 'in experienced builders' build there they will destroy the terrain and make the world look ugly. I saw a similar thing happen to spaceworld, we let anyone member + build, and they defiled the world, scattering it with trash. I have talked to clown and vray, and they both agree, we can't have this world ruined like so many others before it. I say we ristrict it to either OP+ and have a comitee grant special permissions. This would JUST be for SKYLIA not for plotworld. This may seem harsh to some, but I think skylia would be more of a merit to the server if it is kept clean and presentable.Thanks, lop
@Lordofpain - Hmm I may have mentioned this a white back, but my thoughts have shifted. We definitely need to talk it out more and plan this. I completely understand what your after here and your concerns, but it makes this world unreachable to the vast majority and changes the original plan summarized by EP on page 6. Whitelily and i were discussing this a few days ago and talking over the pro and cons of 'How' we and do the 'Creative' world. Here are the variations of how we could implement a 'Creative World'.

@Everyone - Consider these ideas and let's discuss what will be best.
4 Ways I can foresee a 'Creative World' Being implemented in CFEW

1) "Whole World Op+ Build Only by default, ALL Players can /modreq a spot or ask an OP if they can build"
This style represents the way we have managed our 'Desert' and 'Planetoids' world.
Pros (World stays in excellent condition)
Cons (World develops very slowly or not at all for long periods)
Thoughts (In order for it to be successful, players & OPs will need and easy and responsive system for requesting and helping make zones. /modreq is good. Some players may not want to wait 24 hours to get their zone. Situation: If a player would like to build in 'Creative' world & no OPs are on for hours, does /modreq allow enough characters for a player to ask and explain what they will build? Should we make a tight format for this in /modreq? (Example: (standing center of plot player wants, player types /modreq please give me a 50x50 centered here, see sponge corners, I want to make a fancy castle)

2) "Whole World is Architect+/OP+ Only, Lower than these ranks may not build here, they can only visit"
This style represents the way we have managed 'CityWorld' world.
Pros (World stays in excellent condition and yields all highly skilled bui9lds)
Cons (This world would not satisfy the strong interest for "Creative Mode" by most players, Some would feel 'Left Out' if no other 'Creative' Options' were available to them.
Thoughts (This could make a very beautiful world with a very active group of about 6 builders or more. Should we direct this sytle at 'City World' or expand it to satisfy this angle of interest at CFEW. Architect+ could build here. Should we band together and organize CityWorld with a strong and careful use of WorldEdit to make this a reality? We could do this with the 'Skylia' world as LordofPain suggest and I understand his concern of Member+ 'griefing (accident or on purpose), but I think this leaves out too many CFEW visitors and there will still be a strong vote for a 'Creative' map accessible to anyone ..... a 'sandbox' as EP summarized.

3) "Whole world is open for all 'Member+' rank to build in freely as they wish to. Players are strongly reminded to ask OPit+ for a 'Zone' with /modreq to protect their building plot"
This style strongly represents how we have managed our main CFEW world for over 2 years.
Pros (World is very accessible to all CFEW visitors, satisfies the 'Creative mode' desire many players have, World will grow fast and be very busy, Will increase CFEW's popularity/attendance, World will not have a coherent and highly polished appeal)
Cons (World land and un-zoned builds can be 'griefed' very quickly with 'Creative Mode', OP will need to work more by defining and expanding zones for players)
Thoughts (This option 'feels' the best and if worth trying on a temporary basis at least. It will yield results similar to main world. It's a 'sandbox' for all ages and skill levels to 'play' in and express themselves. This map will never be 'deleted' but it will be parked permanently or put on an automatic 'map rotation' by use of 'Auto-Rose' script. We could program 'Auto-Rose' to rotate 5 maps automatically on a schedule. She can issue a 'heads up' warning as the closure of this sandbox near. Player who want to keep a build would will need to ask an Admin or even OP to use WorldEdit to copy and paste their build into a plot in the more permanent creative map called 'Plotlands'. OP+ or OPit+ could be given WorldEdit Copy/Paste/Undo commands only in 'Creative' & 'Plotland' worlds to help move builds for players. All OPs who do this should be 'strongly recommended or required' to install the 'WorldEdit CUI' mod on their minecraft client. It's would be a huge help for this task.

4) "Whole world is open for all 'Member+' rank to build in. Players must 'zone' their own protection as they need it with the '[b]Towny Advanced' or 'Residence' bukkit server plugin"[/b]
This most similar to how we have managed the main CFEW world, but still a method we have tested yet. It could be the perfect mix. (Who has experience with 'Towny' or 'Residence' as a player or server owner, speak up and tell us about it)
Pros (Similar to #3 above, but it's less work for the OPs and the players are responsible for protecting their own builds.)
Cons (Untested, Extra fancy plugin like Towny or Residence may add more workload/lag server a bit - however I could be wrong and it may not. Must try it out)
Thoughts (Needs to be tested. This could be the perfect solution for an 'Everyone' 'Creative' world. Less work for OPs/Protection for those who 'read' and 'use it'. Also remember it is a 'sandbox' and sandcastles don't last forever =P. If you love your build, protect it, and /modreq for OPs to move it to 'Plotlands'. If you don't like 'mud hut or sponge castle neighbors' then perhaps 'Cityworld' or another 'exclusive creative map' is for you.

Have I covered the logical possibilities of opening up a new 'Creative' world in CFEW. Can anyone think of another worthy method? Have more Pros Cons or Thoughts on one of these. Please speak up and help us hash this out. tyvm!

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - fireb4llz - 01-09-2013

tbh, option 1 and option 2 are the same thing.... Honestly I think suggesting that rank a while back was a mistake. No one can get it and I don't want to lower my standards enough to a point where accepted builds wouldn't look good on a universal scale.

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - blueapplepiedude - 01-09-2013

(01-09-2013, 12:55 AM)fire897 Wrote: tbh, option 1 and option 2 are the same thing.... Honestly I think suggesting that rank a while back was a mistake. No one can get it and I don't want to lower my standards enough to a point where accepted builds wouldn't look good on a universal scale.

Maybe architect should be toned down to like the equivalent of a t7.

RE: Creative World (We're actually doing it this time around) - clownfish - 01-09-2013

@Fire897 - Your right Option 1 and 2 are nearly the same thing. They only differ slightly. Option 1 (like 'desert' & 'Planetoids') was open to all who want to build there, but they needed to 'ask an OP' for a zone first. Option 2 (like City World) was more exclusive for those who have proven themselves already as 'great' builders. What style 'feels' best to you. I know you love to make very detailed and eye appealing builds. Should we organize and expand 'City World' or should we aim to make a map like Skylia more exclusive. Are you referring to the 'Architect' rank. Explain more on what you feel would be best for the CFEW community or direct me to a thread you mentioned a while back. Thanks for you input! =D

(01-09-2013, 01:09 AM)blueapplepiedude Wrote: Maybe architect should be toned down to like the equivalent of a t7.
@blueapplepiedude - Hmmm well 'Architect' and 'Trusted7' have very different origins. But I follow what you are suggesting. Without adding more ranks to our system. Perhaps 'Honored+' is what you suggest. 'Honored+' is based upon a player being votes by 3+ OPs as a 'trustworthy and in good standing' with CFEW.

@Everyone - I'm leaning towards keeping some sort of 'Creative' map open to 'Member+'. There is such a high demand for this and the masses won't rest until they get it haha. I don't think we should allow Creative to 'guest' though. A guest is someone who is very new and has not yet proven then 'care' about CFEW. As a member at at least there is some effort at being apart of the CFEW community. Keep the ideas coming, watch my post above as I add to it more. Thanks for your ideas and input.