CFEW Forums
New Rank Permissions - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: New Rank Permissions (/showthread.php?tid=333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: New Rank Permissions - clownfish - 05-03-2012

Great discussion everyone. Your doing a very nice job figuring out what will work best for our CFEW community. In the OP area I will post our current world permissions files so we can begin to understand what CFEW permissions currently are, and where we should go with it. I used to have a spreadsheet with all the permission files that was easy to understand. Boxmana also made a revision to the 'ranks' file per the forum discussion. I will post both our current CFEW permission files and the one box edited. All OPs can begin to narrow down what we really want and how the future of CFEW will work out. Ultimately these decisions can have final calls given by our new CFEW admin and support team.

Keep the ideas rolling. I'll start giving some more input.
(pardon my lack of response on forum lately.. RL and work have been rather tough.. troublesome employees.. doing my best to work things out in RL)

**OPS who have access to the OP forum.. come here to see our permission files** ((LINK))

Take care! Thank you all for your input and support!
<3
-Fishy

RE: New Rank Permissions - Eaglefighter - 05-03-2012

(05-03-2012, 02:36 PM)Indrae Wrote: How so? We aren't judging the amount of effort put into gathering materials. I could spend weeks gathering material for a dirt mansion, that doesn't make it a good build (although, a dirt mansion will be bad no matter what). Using creative doesn't affect the quality or value of the build, and it doesn't mean that less effort and care was put into the design of the build (which is, in my opinion, the most important factor).

I agree but it was said earlier in the discussion that it did matter . I know the collecting part just takes time/money. The designing and building takes experience,insight and trial and error. So yeah i think people could get to creative in the beginning. In the end you build so others will admire it. And i think people will admire buildings in main more than creative. So i think people will still build in main

RE: New Rank Permissions - shppthwhtfx - 05-03-2012

Ind, we aren't a creative mode server... and I personally think those kinds of servers are exceptionally boring. I like the balance our main world has and don't want creative mode leaking out to any world other than the few we designate for it (city world and maybe one other in the future for less... structured builds). And I'm sorry to say this, but look at the quality of your (the collective of ppl that build in CW) builds in creative mode and then look at the quality in the main world. Your builds in city world look alot more awesome than the ones in main world. I'm not sure why you deny the effect of creative mode on quality of build since this is the case.

If everyone has access to creative mode in an alt world, we can't possibly compare the quality of those builds to the ones built without creative mode. As we can see from how your CW has developed, the quality IS effected no matter how much you deny it. If we do compare it, all I'm asking is the effect be taken into consideration. I have heard many say this, "anyone can build awesome things with creative mode" ...may not be true, but it sure is a lot easier.

RE: New Rank Permissions - Indrae - 05-03-2012

I suppose that is dependent on the preferences of the individual. But that is not what we are talking about. We aren't concerned about whether people admire the build more because it was done without creative. The factor we need to focus on when it come to promotions is the quality of the final product, and not how it was made. I'm not saying that you should change your mind if you believe builds are inherently of a higher quality if they are built without creative. What I am saying is that we need to separate our feelings on that issue from the task at hand, which is judging the final product on its quality and detail, rather than what process it was made through.

RE: New Rank Permissions - Indrae - 05-03-2012

I've been with this server since the beginning. In the first months, I had no problem wasting my time gathering materials to build what I wanted. That eventually gets tiring however, and if it was not for the community, I probably would have left. I don't know, after having been exposed to the benefits of creative and similar features, perhaps my philosophy on this game has evolved to the point where it is no longer compatible with that of others on this server. This is a pointless debate as far as I am concerned. I will not change my position, and I doubt you will either. I don't believe we will ever reach a conclusion that leaves us both satisfied shpp.

(05-03-2012, 05:12 PM)Indrae Wrote: I've been with this server since the beginning. In the first months, I had no problem wasting my time gathering materials to build what I wanted. That eventually gets tiring however, and if it was not for the community, I probably would have left. I don't know, after having been exposed to the benefits of creative and similar features, perhaps my philosophy on this game has evolved to the point where it is no longer compatible with that of others on this server. This is a pointless debate as far as I am concerned. I will not change my position, and I doubt you will either. I don't believe we will ever reach a conclusion that leaves us both satisfied shpp.

Ive had that, when building eagleland i quickly ran out of what i had collected before. I got the majority of my stone from others. I just didnt feel like collecting anymore. So i get that you like creative mode, but new players might get bored of building way sooner and more important lose respect for buildings since they never had to do the amount of collecting others have.

RE: New Rank Permissions - Aeonex - 05-03-2012

@everyone Rank permissions turns to debate about creative vs. traditional building preference. Interesting... Perhaps we could move the debate elsewhere? Nothing wrong with it, I might contribute to it myself. ;D

@clown thank you for the permission files. I'll look at and edit them right away. I'll move the majority of that conversation over to your new post and see what I can do with .yml. I am not completely fluent with it, but I have used textedit with Mac before to edit them.

Not so experienced with Mac scripting than I am java and c++, anyone here have any experience with .yml more than myself?

RE: New Rank Permissions - fireb4llz - 05-04-2012

Well, this could solve both the "we would be trolling if we didn't give architects rewards" problem and the "if we had a creative world people wouldn't build in main anymore"
problem. Maybe only OPit+/Architects/Honored-Architects could have build permissions in creative world. This way creative world wouldn't look as chaotic, architects would have some type of reward and also people would still have a reason to build in main. It may sound a little stupid but if we had nonlegit building at all on this server it would make sense to limit it to those who could really have some use out of it. Just to clarify, other ranks would still be allowed to visit although they couldn't build/destroy anything.

RE: New Rank Permissions - fireb4llz - 05-04-2012

I guess I might as well share my opinion on the creative v. traditional matter. To be honest, I believe that builds should be based on quality, not how much extra time you put into them. As my building skill increasingly became greater, I started to feel more and more restricted. I always felt I never really got a chance to see how talented I really am at building. I think that anyone with a good amount of building talent should be able to seek out their true building potential if they desire. However I greatly respect Clownfish's decisions and say the bulk of the server should stay traditional. Although it would be nice If There was at least a place where people who share similar opinions could build to their true potential.

As for the statement "anyone can build awesome things with creative mode". This is partly true. If you put enough time into improving your building skills you could eventually build something truly amazing. However not many have the patience and determination.

Tbh, I think what I mentioned in the previous post would be the best solution, although there's always room for more input.