CFEW Forums
Creative vs. Non-Creative - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Creative vs. Non-Creative (/showthread.php?tid=345)

Pages: 1 2

Creative vs. Non-Creative - Indrae - 05-04-2012

This is a debate that sprang up out of the rank permissions thread, and while I said there that I believed this was a pointless debate to have, I've since had a little more time to think about it. It seems that we have two camps right now: those who believe that builds for the architect rank should be judged with more scrutiny if built with creative than those built without it, and on the other side, those who believe that there should be no difference in judgement. An idea was proposed that perhaps we should reward Architects with permissions in a creative world.

I think there's a possibility that we have not considered: make it a decision for each member whether to play in creative or not. I'm not saying that we should allow people to switch in and out of creative mode in the main world whenever they feel like it. What I am saying though, is why don't we set up a creative world, and allow builders to choose for themselves what playing style suits them the most? Those who like creative could use the creative map, and those who prefer a more traditional method of building could continue to use the main map.

In my opinion, this is an approach that bridges the gap between both sides of the argument. If someone's love of the game comes from the time they spend gathering materials and subsequently building, then there is nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, if someone does not find enjoyment in gathering materials to build, and would rather spend their time on the server building without restriction, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Our goal on this server is to ensure that everyone is welcome, and that we provide the greatest opportunity for people to find enjoyment on our server. I believe that by giving people a choice between these two play styles (and this would not be an either or decision), we can better provide our players with the ability to find enjoyment during their time on CFEW.

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - Eaglefighter - 05-04-2012

This doesnt solve the problem. We still dont know whether to judge differently or not

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - Indrae - 05-04-2012

That isn't the question or topic of discussion here. This is a question of the merits of having a world with creative enabled. Whether we judge the builds more harshly or not is not important to this discussion.

Oh ok then i agree, we should have a creative world

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - fireb4llz - 05-04-2012

I think we should only give Architects/Honored-Architects/OPit+ building rights for creative world. The core of CFEW is legit building and we should respect Clown's decision for that. Creative world should a privilege only be for those who could really make use out of it, not for people who just don't feel like collecting materials.

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - Indrae - 05-04-2012

If we were a truly "legit" (and I truly despise the connotations that word has) then we would not have a city world, which is creative, we would not allow superpick, we would not clear land for people with world edit, and we would not have flying for some people. I feel it is hypocritical of us to grant these privileges to a select few, while forcing others who may not find the gathering part of the game enjoyable to waste their time.

There will always be people who prefer to gather their materials the traditional way. I would presume shpp (just using you as an example), would prefer to follow this play style, along with others. This would not keep them from doing this. It is merely providing an alternative for those who like a different route.

I agree that everyone should have acces to creative world, i thought about it and it doesnt matter if fewer people build in main. There are plenty of builds there and then there Will be enough room for people who want to build there. And it is fair because new people can choose for themselves whether to join creative or not. We were once really a survival server but now we are a server for everyone anyway.

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - Aeonex - 05-04-2012

@Indrae Well said, these are great ideas, and good counter point.

I will always play in traditional world. I even go to Adventure World and PVP world, despite the survival aspects, just to have the element challenge that Minecraft offers.
Very rarely will I go to the creative world and build. If I do, it's for a massive build because I would like to experiment with architecture design.

@fire As for the promotional ideas for ranks/permissions. I think this is a great idea also. However, I would like to note that the last time we all decided to hash out the ranking and permissions. DJ went out of control to push the redstone ranks to a more important status. This caused a great diversity on the server and many people who loved redstone too much, left CFEW because of it. I am not comparing you to DJ. I am not saying you're going to do what DJ did... I know your biggest concern with giving creative to all players is the fact that many will build terribly large structures. Like large cobblestone huts. What would Clown do on this matter though? In the past, I have personally proposed we get rid of all the thousands of wooden shacks that dot the traditional map. Clown stood resolute and said no, this is not welcoming everyone. We want people to come back and have their builds intact. They might stay forever if they came back and saw their crummy builds still alive.

We want to welcome EVERYONE to CFEW. We also want to have "legit" building that Clownfish also placed as part of the server. So where can we all agree to have "even ground" and compromise. Where we follow both legit building and creative people to welcome to CFEW?

Idea 1: (Indrae's) Make a separate, creative world, where it is handled much like the traditional map. There are zones, ranks (with different permissions for the same ranks) and a spawn with complete rules/tutorials.

Idea 2: (Fire's) Have creative world limited to only privileged builders (architects) as a reward for their achievement to such a status.

How about we make a new spawn, where there are two portals (or even four) and people are allowed to choose between what world they would like to join. I've seen the largest, greatest servers of Minecraft use this method. Once such server was so large, it had to be split into 4 separate servers because it became so popular... In my opinion, this would truly follow both "legit" building and "everyone's welcome" server.

Think about it like this.
-New player joins-
-There are 4 portals down hallways, each with the description of what we're providing per each world-
-New player moves to portals, goes to selected world-
-Rules and commands are posted in each new world, new player is teleported to each designated spawn with complete tutorials-

4 worlds or two?
TWO: Creative & Non-Creative (default CFEW)

FOUR: Creative, Non-Creative, AdventureWorld and Redstone?

@fire If you're truly worried about providing a reward for Architect rank in the traditional world. The planetoids map with flymod (planetoid map only) would be a perfect reward. Not only are they able to collect massive amounts of wood, sand, clay and other rare materials. But they can move it back to the regular map and contribute to even greater projects for CFEW. If you don't like this idea, we can also combine your idea with the creative world portal. People might have to go through a "trial" on another world and pass before gaining creative? (Like Architect rank)

I don't want to see people leave CFEW again for differences. I won't allow it. I love CFEW and all of you too much to see this happen again.

I like the idea, i think 2 portals would be better and just inform about other worlds. So like 2 mains and some other worlds you can visit

RE: Creative vs. Non-Creative - fireb4llz - 05-04-2012

To be completely honest, cobblestone huts isn't my biggest concern. I'm more concerned that normal players won't respect the legit aspect of the server. As for the Architect reward thing, those are some good ideas.