CFEW Forums
Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" (/showthread.php?tid=368)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - shppthwhtfx - 05-09-2012

@aeon I'm not against it, but merging pvp/aw would be a lot of work scrounging for builds to move with little gain. I believe making two portals near each other like james said would be the best bet.
I believe making the terrain in creative world would add some aesthetics to their builds with the more natural environment.
I am against flatland being referred to as "artworld" due to the fact only half of flatland is dedicated to pixel art. That would simply cause more confusion to its purpose than there already is. If sheep don't despawn, we don't need natural spawning sheep (pigs spawn more often in flatland anyway).
Just for clarity, by "separate world" you mean be represented by a portal in this unified location, right?

@pizza I know the spawn I made, and possibly even zanax/james' spawn are overwhelming with their signs. It is a problem we considered when designing/building the spawn but at the time the general consensus was we needed to force new members to learn the rules and commands for themselves (it was obnoxious how few got the info from previous spawns). I do not take insult from simply observing the truth haha I agree we need a better spawn. There are several in the process of being built, however, and I think we need to organize ourselves a bit more. I'm not one for building with others, but I think we are gonna end up scrapping a lot of peoples' effort if we keep this up.
I know for a while now a lot of the senior OPs have wanted to get together and build a giant, open air, not crowded with signs spawn that brought a combination of organization (server info wise) and an awesome display of building. There have been many ideas as to what it should look like ...but it sounds like, pizza, you're changing your plans to revolve around the gates rather than the server info o.o
I believe the spawn should have a starting place with a welcome board, server rules and a clear view of the various server info hubs as well as the exit. This way they are immediately exposed to the rules, then are free to learn what interests them and leave when they feel like it. The info hubs should be large so that they aren't a daunting wall of text. A world warp room can be one of these with a brief description of each/rules of each right next to each... maybe have a small hallway or a patch of grass for each just to provide a clear boarder between each. I feel it would be better to have the spawn centralized around server info rather than have the info crowded in one central tower or something.
and I agree... we need our alt world portals all in one place. There is a wall in spawn trying to replicate this effect with many alt world warps in one place, but that's not enough.

@aeon/ind I agree that Ind's council should control all aspects of city world. References to the otherwise were probably posed innocently. Aeon, were you trying to reinforce your proposition that honored-architect be given creative world as a perk rather than it being free to all? (just clarifying)

@james I'll have to check out /warp nexus before I weigh in an opinion. I do, however, have an inclination to side with pizza's plan. Even if we make it so that the portals are the outer rings instead of information nodes, it would probably be less confusing and easier to understand than current spawn and spawn2 due to their format, not by the effort already exhausted. If spawn2 is completed we can use it until the giant project is done, but I see no reason to spare builders' feelings and ignore what's best for the server. Depending on how pizza designs the central building, his might be better.
I think aeon is just trying to reduce the confusion/ignorance surrounding the alt worlds. We have many that aren't used at all anymore simply because no one knows about them and a wall with them listed among a giant library of information isn't helping xD I'm a little confused at whether aeon wants to delete worlds too (mainly because of the merging plan of pvp/aw). Maybe I'm wrong completely.

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - EducatedPizza - 05-09-2012

@ shpp i appreciate your input and I think you have some great ideas. My main plan was to center the world portals around a main structure. This main structure would contain SERVER info and SERVER rules only. this is up for debate, but I feel that it would cause the least amount of confusion. Also, there could be a board describing each world and a few main features of it. The user could then choose a world and walk down the designated pathway towards that portal. This is where I grow a bit unsure of things. I feel that if too much information is given, it may confuse new players, So i feel that the world rules, ranks, and permissions should be kept within each world, at the spawn portal exit. Once a user enters a portal at the spawn, they could be taken to a designated "Welcome Area" within that world. This structure could contain all world rules, ranks, and permissions for that world only.

For example: I decide to join CFEW as a new member. I log in and read the server rules and all world descriptions. I decide that the main world is a good starting place so I go to the main world portal. Once I enter this portal, I am taken to A "welcome" structure inside the main world. (We could even use Spawn2 or Spawn1 since they both have most of the main server rules already). This structure would contain all ranks, rules, and permissions in the MAIN world, and the MAIN world only. I read all of these, and decide that PVP might be more my style. I head back to spawn and go to the PVP portal. This takes me to a structure inside of PVP world with all PVP rules and permissions.

I feel that this isn't a perfect system, but one that will cut down on confusion drastically. having a separate spot for SERVER info as opposed to WORLD info would help eliminate the large number of signs that currently populate spawn. It would also allow users to know the exact rules of the world that they are entering into and will hopefully cut down on the amount of questions asked.

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - Flyingfruitloops - 05-09-2012

(05-09-2012, 05:02 PM)shppthwhtfx Wrote: @aeon I'm not against it, but merging pvp/aw would be a lot of work scrounging for builds to move with little gain. I believe making two portals near each other like james said would be the best bet.
I believe making the terrain in creative world would add some aesthetics to their builds with the more natural environment.
I am against flatland being referred to as "artworld" due to the fact only half of flatland is dedicated to pixel art. That would simply cause more confusion to its purpose than there already is. If sheep don't despawn, we don't need natural spawning sheep (pigs spawn more often in flatland anyway).
Just for clarity, by "separate world" you mean be represented by a portal in this unified location, right?

@pizza I know the spawn I made, and possibly even zanax/james' spawn are overwhelming with their signs. It is a problem we considered when designing/building the spawn but at the time the general consensus was we needed to force new members to learn the rules and commands for themselves (it was obnoxious how few got the info from previous spawns). I do not take insult from simply observing the truth haha I agree we need a better spawn. There are several in the process of being built, however, and I think we need to organize ourselves a bit more. I'm not one for building with others, but I think we are gonna end up scrapping a lot of peoples' effort if we keep this up.
I know for a while now a lot of the senior OPs have wanted to get together and build a giant, open air, not crowded with signs spawn that brought a combination of organization (server info wise) and an awesome display of building. There have been many ideas as to what it should look like ...but it sounds like, pizza, you're changing your plans to revolve around the gates rather than the server info o.o
I believe the spawn should have a starting place with a welcome board, server rules and a clear view of the various server info hubs as well as the exit. This way they are immediately exposed to the rules, then are free to learn what interests them and leave when they feel like it. The info hubs should be large so that they aren't a daunting wall of text. A world warp room can be one of these with a brief description of each/rules of each right next to each... maybe have a small hallway or a patch of grass for each just to provide a clear boarder between each. I feel it would be better to have the spawn centralized around server info rather than have the info crowded in one central tower or something.
and I agree... we need our alt world portals all in one place. There is a wall in spawn trying to replicate this effect with many alt world warps in one place, but that's not enough.

@aeon/ind I agree that Ind's council should control all aspects of city world. References to the otherwise were probably posed innocently. Aeon, were you trying to reinforce your proposition that honored-architect be given creative world as a perk rather than it being free to all? (just clarifying)

@james I'll have to check out /warp nexus before I weigh in an opinion. I do, however, have an inclination to side with pizza's plan. Even if we make it so that the portals are the outer rings instead of information nodes, it would probably be less confusing and easier to understand than current spawn and spawn2 due to their format, not by the effort already exhausted. If spawn2 is completed we can use it until the giant project is done, but I see no reason to spare builders' feelings and ignore what's best for the server. Depending on how pizza designs the central building, his might be better.
I think aeon is just trying to reduce the confusion/ignorance surrounding the alt worlds. We have many that aren't used at all anymore simply because no one knows about them and a wall with them listed among a giant library of information isn't helping xD I'm a little confused at whether aeon wants to delete worlds too (mainly because of the merging plan of pvp/aw). Maybe I'm wrong completely.

Well if it's too hard working on merging the pVp world and AW, why don't you generate a new world, players are sure to love it with more strongholds to be found and villages to be looted.

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - 9bjames - 05-10-2012

Only really replying to Fruitloops post in this, not enough time before I hit the hay to go over everything else, but the whole reason for merging worlds Fruitloops would be to reduce the amount of worlds, not create more. I'm not against making another, new world, with more strongholds etc, but the issues we're discussing are more to do with moving players' builds over to the new world, when the old one is essentially removed.

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - shppthwhtfx - 05-10-2012

I understood pizza, sorry if that came off as "it will fail" lol your idea is better than our old format ...can't say its better than my idea cause, well... its my idea, my opinion and all, nothing personal xD As long as you make the central building not confusing that may work... it'd have to be pretty large by itself, maybe have the welcome on the first floor where you spawn with a liftsign/ladder/stairs to the next, rules on the next with six exits to the portals w/ brief descriptions of which is which... idk you can figure that out x.x and then on the same floor can be more lifts/stairs or w/e to commands, server info and such. Just ideas, do with them what you wish.

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - boxmana - 05-14-2012

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - EducatedPizza - 05-15-2012

I actually like the idea of a pvp city within aw. Good idea box! It would be a pain to move builds and the city would be yet anOther project on this growing list, but it would combine two worlds that have basically the same purpose. It would also help free up a world which we could replace with a creative world perhaps. I know this will probably meet some resistance, but I actually like the idea of a pvp city within aw

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - boxmana - 05-16-2012

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - Aeonex - 05-17-2012

RE: Server Expansions: "Separate New Worlds" - boxmana - 05-17-2012

Everything should be made out of dead bodies for adventure world....or pumpkin substitutes...