CFEW Forums
Discord Server - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Discord Server (/showthread.php?tid=5206)

Pages: 1 2

Discord Server - Indrae - 10-22-2016

Hello everyone,

There has been talk recently of switching our voice chat channel from Teamspeak to Discord. Discord offers many advantages in functionality, usability, and cost (namely, it is free, whereas Teamspeak is not). It has become increasingly popular in several gaming communities, and it may be worthwhile for us to consider switching to it. For more information about Discord, you may visit its website here: https://discordapp.com/

If we do switch to Discord, there is another thing to consider. Discord offers the option of requiring the use of push to talk in order to use voice chat. For those who are unfamiliar with what this means, it means that a user can assign a button that, when held down, enables their microphone to transmit noise. Without holding down the button, no noise will be transmitted. If push to talk is not specifically required by the particular channel, the default setting will be for a players microphone to activate when it senses activity (although a player can still choose to use push to talk).

So this discussion revolves around two questions: Should we switch to using Discord instead of Teamspeak? If so, should we require the use of push to talk?

RE: Discord Server - deblueninja - 10-22-2016

The use of push to talk is painful and hard to use in game. I would rather consider just politely asking someone to mute themselves if they are too loud, or a server op can do it themselves with the left click on their name.

RE: Discord Server - Spiketrooper - 10-22-2016

I like Discord as a system, its quite efficient and when you learn your way around its quite a good and well organized page.

however i do not feel that Push to talk is nessacary, more often than not people will activate it themselves if they realize there is a lot of backround noise, or someone asks them too. So i think we can trust peeps to act accordingly on that.

RE: Discord Server - Indrae - 10-22-2016

Blue, what about push to talk is "painful and hard to use in game"? Knowing that will help contribute towards making a good decision.

RE: Discord Server - Ethanthomas619 - 10-22-2016

Although I haven't been on the server since god knows when. I think switching to discord offers numerous possibilities as well as being pretty user friendly. As for the push to talk function, I know I'd appreciate that based on countless encounters of people that should mute their mic even though they refuse to do so. Let's say someone is in an arguement and they are throwing around words that younger children shouldn't be around or someone has a fan blowing right into their microphone and it is ear bustingly loud. Sure you could mute the person. But what if they are making a build or just talking to you about one thing or another. It'd just be easier to leave push to talk on so it cuts out frustration from other people on some things. I don't see how one button would really bother anyone.

RE: Discord Server - deblueninja - 10-22-2016

RE: Discord Server - Ethanthomas619 - 10-22-2016

Dude. It's a button. I play Overwatch more than I probably should. I know how push to talk can hinder you. That's why you put it in a spot that is easy to hit. I have mine on the left alt key. So now I just move my thumb over one key and boom. People can hear me XD. You can ask anyone who has been on skype call with me. I say things I probably shouldn't and I talk about things so vastly that push to talk would practically be a necessity. There are probably a lot of people like me. So it'd be smart to save the youth and everything and worry less about a literal button.

RE: Discord Server - Deanokins - 10-22-2016

If push to talk was forced upon me I wouldn't consider the use of discord a viable option

RE: Discord Server - MindBreaker1 - 10-22-2016

I don't think it should be a requirement to use push-to-talk.

RE: Discord Server - Pahman - 10-22-2016

push to talk can be very awkward when playing games, as it means we have to focus on holding a button that has nothing to do with the particular videogame one may be playing, be it minecraft or a different game. it also means that we are focusing on producing `coherent'' speach, playing our videogame, probably typing in the videogame chat AND holding this button. I also believe we should stay with teamspeak as it is easier to manage and we seem to be struggling to set up ranks being allowed to enter selective channels. This is just my two cents, yall put in some good arguments.