CFEW Forums
PvP in AW - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: PvP in AW (/showthread.php?tid=579)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: PvP in AW - Thomas - 06-27-2012

RE: PvP in AW - shppthwhtfx - 06-27-2012

So tom, your reason for not taking any action to make a world pve is because you like to kill players just trying to build in a survival setting who don't like pvp? Did those victims have fun? I'm not sure if we can say "pvp is fun" if there's a minority who are enjoying it at the expense of several. Or even if it's one group enjoying it at the expense of another group relatively the same size. "The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed" I feel the opposite is true of that statement, otherwise it's simply terrorizing others.
Your response to that will be "they shouldn't go in AW if they aren't prepared for pvp as well", that is true, but the only reason they go into AW is for the mobs and survival feel. Not everyone enjoys that style of play. I for one leave AW every time a known PvPer logs on, I shouldn't have to. I'm not skilled at pvp, that doesn't mean I should have to evacuate or die from an enjoyable area of the server.

You are entitled to your own opinion, I simply ask for a PvE survival world.

RE: PvP in AW - Aeonex - 06-28-2012

I had a solution to all of this, actually. I was going to implement "Towny" into the new "Survival World" After AW and PVP World were to merge. This provides 3 things:

1: People have use of their dollars outside of buying items at shops. The economy will allow users to buy land and have "zones" protecting their builds (Automatically, No need for OPs to zone). The Towny Owner, whoever purchased the town, can elect officials to help run it, add people to their zones, expand it and get more reputation in the survival world.

2: The Towns could have their own set of rules (I.E. No PVP, No Griefing, Stealing, etc.)

3: The Town owners would also be able to form teams and fight other towns in "wars" and we could also think about adding factions in the future for even bigger battles. =)

If you all don't like these ideas, we could try an alternative:

-Remove PVP from AW, make it a PvE world. Link two portals for "Survival" in the new spawn world and let others choose between PvE and PvP. Keep PVP world and AdventureWorld separate. Implement Towny idea in current PVP world and allow individual rules for Town owners.

RE: PvP in AW - Thomas - 06-28-2012

RE: PvP in AW - shppthwhtfx - 06-28-2012

This is a good idea, I actually do like it though I'm not clued into a lot of the specifics. I have seen a similar plugin where you buy zones and they are nice, but sadly we have a lot of creative users (OPs and members alike) who like to cut through the point of plugins/rules and abuse loopholes to get what they want.

I can see three problems that may arise from this:
1) Your pvp-logging problem running rampant from players making strategic no-pvp towns and using them for shelter/supplies for ambushes. If you don't care, I don't. You were worried about this so I'll point it out and this will be a problem in PvP world too if it doesn't work out for AW.
2) The most infamous pvpers are OPs who use their access to diamond/enchanted armor/weapons from their stocked up money to pray on any player they see as in AW when they log on (I don't see how that is fun for them but that's a different topic). This towny system is based on money as well, does it allow for pvp towns? I can see one/a group of them buying all the land as fast as they can to create a giant pvp town that covers the majority of AW. Can we limit the size of a town? Can we make messages to mark where pvp areas are? Can we limit the number of towns per person?
3) Peoples' builds may be claimed by someone else simply by buying the land for a town before they can. Peoples' builds may be so close that that's unavoidable *shrugs*

Without 2 and 3 being addressed, I'm pretty sure this idea will end up similarly to the way AW is now, but there's even further concerns:
Are the wars voluntary or is it if another town declares war you just have to deal with it? Is pvp enabled in the general world? Because getting killed while building is only half the annoyance... exploring and suddenly dying when you've cleared all the mobs is obnoxious as well, but we can probably live with that as long as pvpers aren't so insistent on teaching non-pvpers to stay out of AW just because PvP is enabled (the real reason this became an issue, in case you were wondering still). I can't talk for every PvE-er, but I'd rather have a separate world where I don't have to stop exploring and hide in my town until the PvPer gets bored and logs off, which I'm pretty sure is what's going to happen once they learn where the individual towns are.

I'd really like your towny plan to work out, but it seems the last idea in your post is the most attractive.
(P.S. I still don't understand Tom's posts)

RE: PvP in AW - blueapplepiedude - 06-28-2012

@Shpp, how do we get to the towns without being hunted down? is there a pathway u can make that is flagged for no pvp?

RE: PvP in AW - Eaglefighter - 06-28-2012

@blue one of the reasons I'm shying away from the towny idea, blue.

@eagle's 1st point - one of the things I'm against is if a town is forced to participate in a war because a pvper can simply ignore this attempt at keeping PvE-ers safe by just making a town and declaring war. This would fix that problem in a PvP world with towny though.
@eagle's 3rd point - I agree, this is one of the less stressful problems. People building near each other most likely are in cooperation anyway. The purpose in adding towny would be to protect PvEers from having to defend their land in the first place, hired guns would be pointless if PvEers are avoiding conflict all together.

@eagle you seemed to think I was proposing an idea, I was responding to aeon's idea of "towny plugin" by giving what I saw could go wrong (its how I work, aeon already knows whats good about it, why should I repeat?) The alternate towny idea would be to make AW PvE + without pvp aspects of towny (it's still a cool way to protect land) and create a new PvP world with towny for the war aspect of the plugin. I can see the appeal of towns acting as factions against each other, many players have asked for it.
That is why I think the alternative plan is the best, because PvPers get the pure war/free for all area with mobs and a new map while AW has the survival feel of PvE with players exploring or working together against the environment.

@aeon I feel we have many worlds that simply aren't even being used. Thomberlon2 or something like that is an example of this. We need to save them on a CD, keep them safe just in case we want them back, and take them off the server. Backups will be faster, the in browser server map's right-side menu will be more user friendly and server lag might even decrease.

RE: PvP in AW - blueapplepiedude - 06-28-2012

the world is: thomvanberlo2
Heres some worlds i dont think anyone uses that much: the OLD rs world place, Thomvanberlo2, desert, flatland, goldenmines (tunnel world), and then we should get rid of one of the nethers. there is 2 nethers atm.
Should we get rid of these worlds? also maybe have only 1 CW and not 2...

@blue yes, I figured aeon could figure out by himself what the name was =P
flatland, desert and the second nether are being used/have builds on them. I was only suggesting worlds that never get used anymore. The nether world will be rid of once the admins finish transferring the old builds over to new nether, pvp world will be rid of similarly to AW ...we know about those, but thanks for pointing it out. Again, I'm sure aeon can discern which worlds aren't ever used anymore rather than ones that have builds/potential for builds still.