CFEW Forums
A New 1.13 Map for SW - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Feedback (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: A New 1.13 Map for SW (/showthread.php?tid=6266)

Pages: 1 2 3

A New 1.13 Map for SW - whitelily36 - 09-04-2018

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - MudsyKipsy - 09-04-2018

Giving us only too options and starting a poll with minimal discussion or other ideas is a bad idea, I'd suggested that we discuss this first before adding any polls and being forced to choose between the 2.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - Charlie396 - 09-04-2018

I think, personally, that the awe of having a new inventory will fade super quickly. Yes, everyone will be equal; but I rarely see people complaining about the unbalanced nature of some people having op armour. And, whenever I join a new Survival world, I find that people quickly stop caring about everyone else's position.
But, I guess starting fresh has it's benefits; like Lily mentioned

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - whitelily36 - 09-04-2018

This is just a starting poll and we can visit more options once we see if the majority want shared or separate inventories.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - Firablitz - 09-04-2018

I've used 1.13 on the server and the commands are bug. I couldn't teleport by /back or /warp or /spawn. So if there was a 1.13 map would it get the commands fixed?

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - pigpenguin - 09-05-2018

I'd still like for us to consider stitching a 1.13 map to the existing one.  Unlike MW, geography in SW matters.  I don't believe a 1.13 expansion will generate less excitement than an unconnected world.

While generating excitement among current players is important, we should consider the effect a blank map will have on new-player retention.  Our current world, filled with amazing builds and an established system of towns, roads, and economics, is far more appealing than a bare world that has 0-2 people online at a time.

SW probably could use a few tweaks, but none that require a reset.  If anything, the SW "civilization" is at a point that opens up opportunities for more dynamic and unique gameplay.  More on this later.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - whitelily36 - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 10:27 PM)Firablitz Wrote: I've used 1.13 on the server and the commands are bug. I couldn't teleport by /back or /warp or /spawn. So if there was a 1.13 map would it get the commands fixed?

Aye, sorry Fira, that wasn't 1.13 though, it was just a plugin allowing people to connect with 1.13. I quickly pulled the plugin.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - whitelily36 - 09-05-2018

(09-05-2018, 08:52 AM)pigpenguin Wrote: I'd still like for us to consider stitching a 1.13 map to the existing one.  Unlike MW, geography in SW matters.  I don't believe a 1.13 expansion will generate less excitement than an unconnected world.

While generating excitement among current players is important, we should consider the effect a blank map will have on new-player retention.  Our current world, filled with amazing builds and an established system of towns, roads, and economics, is far more appealing than a bare world that has 0-2 people online at a time.

SW probably could use a few tweaks, but none that require a reset.  If anything, the SW "civilization" is at a point that opens up opportunities for more dynamic and unique gameplay.  More on this later.

One option was for us to expand SW, even double its size.  The new side should generate with 1.13 terrain and biomes.  However this just isn't a popular choice. We did run a poll, not sure how reliable it is though as I believe people could have voted from other ip addresses, but we had 26 people who voted for a new world and 11 to expand.  Of those 26, 16 wanted to not share the inventory, and 10 wanted to share. 

The main argument against expanding seems to be wanting a totally fresh map, so you won't accidentally run the wrong way and hit the old part of the map. Another argument is that it is now too big, so you have no choice but to warp around.  The fear is more big chunks of land no one wants to go to.

I can accept that argument, and although we can't stitch a new map to an old map, they can still be easily connected via portals and warps.  That means though, we would have to share inventory. Perhaps we need to think through this option a bit more.

I will leave the poll open while we discuss this further guys, keep swapping your vote if you want to.  This vote is just a general picture of where we stand in regards to sharing the inventory.  There are other options we can start considering, especially if we remain tied like this.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - pigpenguin - 09-05-2018

Thanks for voting, everyone. It'd also be extremely valuable if those who voted posted at least a quick reply stating the reasons for their preferences. A simple yes/no vote doesn't paint a clear enough picture of what people are thinking. I'll add more later tonight.

RE: A New 1.13 Map for SW - Kataclismic - 09-06-2018

Having been with the server for about a year now, I have decorated my little SW island with ores and blocks of diamond, emerald, redstone and coal because it makes me feel rich. Even without all my stacks of chests, if I need something, I can simply mine it right out of my island. The problem, though, is no good story holds an audience without a bit of struggle and there's nothing to struggle for when everything is at your fingertips.

As far as the concept of losing new players due to a new, un-established world - I think it would be more fun to help establish a new world on a server that already has all these amazing worlds.

Just my two-bits. I'll refrain from voting though as it suits me just fine either way.