CFEW Forums
New RS School World - Need input - Printable Version

+- CFEW Forums (https://forum.cfew.us)
+-- Forum: Minecraft (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Server Discussion (https://forum.cfew.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: New RS School World - Need input (/showthread.php?tid=244)

Pages: 1 2

New RS School World - Need input - clownfish - 03-02-2012

Hey everyone,

Me and about 5 others are working on getting a new RS School Learning area setup.

The RS School World will have it's own isolated 'rank system'. When you visit the RS School World you will see your current status and when you leave you will return to your main world normal rank.

I was originally thinking it may be fun to add a theme to the ranks. Pelle44 and Thomvanberlo have constructed a central RS School Building so far, and the world is created. We are currently planning out the walkways and plots on campus.

I'm ready to finalize the 'RS School Rank' system. Justincasekazoo and I have discussed it quite a bit also. Justin, refresh me here with details on what we talked about. Did we say 1-visitor rank, 1-student rank, 1-teacher rank? (very simple) Or did we decided on having 3-student ranks?

Anyhow originally I thought it may be fun to have a 'magic/wizardry' theme about the whole RS School. RS and 'magic' see similar.

Here are a few ideas we could use to theme the ranks for fun:
  • Plain (no theme) RS-Guest, RS-Student, RS-Teacher
  • Magical/Wizard Like (RS-Apprentice, RS-Mage, RS-ArchMage/wizard, etc..)
  • Monster - RS-Imp, RS-Goblin, RS-Troll, RS-Overlord
  • (Sci-Fi/tech/robot) RS-Citizen, RS-Cyborg, RS-Droid)
  • They could always be changed or tweaked pretty easily...
  • (Fishbowl) RS-Guppy, RS-Goldfish, RS-Angelfish
  • (ocean) RS-plankton, RS-stingray, RS-Shark
  • (greek) Pelle44 and Thom made a Greek themed central RS build.. we could keep to this theme also

Anyhow toss out your ideas, or rework what I have put here. All input is welcome. I'll choose what feels the best very soon and again can tweak it any day.

RE: New RS School World - Need input - MetalicPenguin4 - 03-02-2012

or...

(no theme)

RS-Fledgling (baby penguin)

RS-Penguin

RE: New RS School World - Need input - Poppy_sunny - 03-03-2012

I like plain (no theme) Guest Student Teacher

RE: New RS School World - Need input - clownfish - 03-03-2012

RE: New RS School World - Need input - Flyingfruitloops - 03-04-2012

Hmmm maybe we can have custom titles like superOP's have their own custom titles?

RE: New RS School World - Need input - TheChosenJesse - 04-09-2012

Here's my input from a former RS-Master. My beloved RS-Master friends and colleagues (DJ and Prodigy_Miner) seemed to have disappeared from this server, and I can never speak for them, but here's what I think (also, I know I'm a bit late in replying, so do not feel obligated to even read the rest of my post if it won't affect the RS School).

I think we should keep it plain. If we start to theme it, then some would (probably) feel that the school should need to have that general theme as well. So, fast forward a while, and we may have the RS School turn into something completely different.

Starting in a different direction here. I'm enrolled in algebra this year as a high school credit course (I'm in 8th grade, nothing spectacular). I think the school should be set up how algebra is. My point is not involve many equations, but how I view algebra is (in essence) many easy mathematical problems written together. I view the same with redstone. I think, for the school, students need to learn the CORE basics of redstone. That's how things can be triggered, how long the line goes, repeater ticks in comparison to real-time, basic redstone properties, redstone logic gates, etc. Next up (and I'm not sure if the server has this any more), craftbook and falsebook. Having constructed many redstone "pieces", I've experienced firsthand how useful these are. I've also experienced how complicated they get if you dive right in and use them left and right. Therefore, this would be the second step. Third step, some basic circuits that involve 2-5 of the things in step 2, or say things that shows redstone's properties (making a display, not yet the decoder). Last step, projects. I'll admit, I am no genius with redstone, as the other Redstone Masters were. However, I have helped them with their projects and seen how many basic things apply and mix with way more advanced aspects of redstone and circuitry in projects (notably, DJ's counter that counted up from 1-99).

That's all the input I can provide for now, I wish you luck with your redstone school world clownfish!

RE: New RS School World - Need input - 9bjames - 04-10-2012

Hmm, think I'm going to have to agree with Jesse on this. My knowledge is limited to just logic gates and clocks, but there is a heck of a lot more you can learn and do with that. It'd be good to maybe have different sections in the RS school teaching the core parts of RS... So an area for basic input/ output, an area for logic gates, one for clocks... then obviously I don't know how decoders work, but an area for that as well too. :3 (...although a considerably bigger area, knowing how huge decoders can get XD)
Not exactly sure how well it would work, but each "teaching" area could also contain examples to demonstrate each part.
After that, the rest of the world could probably be used for players to test their knowledge with RS, and just be large open areas to build various projects.

Back on track with the RS ranks though, I agree it probably shouldn't be themed to anything else... But the whole Teacher, Student thing might be a good idea. Solely because it represents how the world is primarily meant for learning redstone, and then trying out whatever the players wish.

Last note... I'd just like to know how the whole creative thing works, with any alt worlds, and not just RS school... I mean I've heard several players have used creative mode, in both RS world and City World, but does it work with the whole isolated inventory thing? Or is it just set for certain people for now... I've been to the alt worlds myself which are supposedly where you're allowed to use creative, but I guess I don't really know how it works. XP

RE: New RS School World - Need input - TheChosenJesse - 04-11-2012

Yeah, James, decoders can get extremely large pretty fast. I'm not very good with them, but DJ said they're basically programmed in binary so you also need to have an understanding of that.

Anyways, make sure the zones are always up in RS School, there's nothing more annoying then having your redstone creation griefed by an incompetent idiot.

RE: New RS School World - Need input - TheDJTec - 05-15-2012

RE: New RS School World - Need input - pacman6578 - 06-24-2012